Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Forum and discussions have moved

This forum is now in archive mode. Its contents have been frozen and no new posts or replies can be made. Please join us at our new community discussion area: https://community.leapmotion.com.
See more
See less
LEAP in the $4.8 trillion Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) industry Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LEAP in the $4.8 trillion Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC) industry

    May 11. 2013 Update Video - This forum only allows me to embed one video so I have to link to this update using a URL.
    http://youtu.be/WGWrY40je1k
    You know where this is going - and at an accelerating rate. Your opinion?

    August 20, 2012 Update: The total global AEC market is actually $7.2 trillion and expected to grow to $12 trillion by 2020. Data source here - Global Construction 2020 - there is also a video.
    Also consider that the vast majority of products people purchase end up in, on, or near a building - referred to as the "built environment" within the industry -and that we spend most of our time inside of buildings, and the question of how Leap will be integrated into our lives and buildings is a very big question with an unlimited number of answers.


    In multiple interviews of the Leap founders, both Michael and David mention interacting with 3D CAD (architecture) files using a natural user interface (like leap) as an inspiration for developing the technology as well as an obvious market with great potential. And the recent Leap news is that over 400 SKD applicants intend to develop applications to enhance user interaction with CAD data. It will be challenging for any of us too keep up with AEC related developments. Perfect.

    While there is already a popular and interesting post about integrating the Leap with solidworks - see link here https://live.leapmotion.com/forums/s...ks-Integration

    As a builder and fabricator of complex buildings, I see far greater potential for the use of Leap to support user interaction with not only CAD data but also building information modeling (BIM) data, computer-aided-engineering, and most importantly, for industry professional and consumer interaction with design AND fabrication data, enabling real-time, mutli-user, collaborative design and customization of buildings that can then be fabricated on-demand using direct digital manufacturing. Exciting times indeed, with nearly infinite potential.

    We are already working on this and have finished an early version using the kinect. Next up, a vastly improved version on Leap. Bear in mind that we have invested a lot of time building out a back end linked to real cnc fabrication data and building energy performance data. Think Tony Stark and the real-time, interactive design and fabrication portrayed in the film. We can't yet do it as quickly, but we can do it at a massive scale on real buildings using the most advanced fabrication technologies and applied building science.

    Here is an early video of the project that was picked up by wired magazine.

    http://youtu.be/U0kUQZmUEwc

    and we are inspired by videos like this one.

    and figured we had better build the back end first, and build the front end user experience later once the necessary technologies are ready and with a significant installed user base = in a matter of months using LEAP. This is going to change the entire industry and we are doing our small part.

    Many people think this is impossible, we think it is inevitable and imminent. Its the singularity of the AEC industry and software/IT. The mother of all mashups.
    Last edited by IDEAbuilder; 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM. Reason: Updated Video
    Builder - Maker - Fabricator
    Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
    IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
    CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
    Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

  • #2
    I also started a new group on the forum and called it,

    "Leap in Architecture, Engineering and Construction - a $4.8 trillion industry"
    https://live.leapmotion.com/forums/group.php?groupid=6

    If this is an area of interest to you, I invite you to join the group and discussion and our ongoing work to integrate LEAP into the industry - and the world.
    Builder - Maker - Fabricator
    Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
    IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
    CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
    Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

    Comment


    • #3
      Cool!

      One for you in return (not competing, just enthusiastically sharing -- not only is it practical, it's also quite beautiful [thanks again, AleHog]...):

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzFpg271sm8

      Off the top of my head, I seem to recall ten or twelve DIFFERENT tools demonstrated, all of which could be implemented using the Leap sensor.
      Many of which can provide a fantastically complex template for gestural inputs and controls selection, on your monitor, then get out of your WAY and let you WORK.
      Keep in mind the implication that what you see being built ostensibly was completed in something under an hour. Which in practiced hands might be realistic.

      Oh, and another post you may not have encountered yet, but with construction and building layouts, etc, on your mind, would be worth looking at:
      https://live.leapmotion.com/forums/s...full=1#post608
      (a bit lengthy, and you should skip to the bottom where it suggests you do that -- although there are lower-probability reasons to read the stuff in the middle too)...

      The excitement and anticipation just keeps building...
      With great power comes great responsibility.
      Responsibility means (among other things) "can be trusted to complete a task". However long it takes.

      Comment


      • #4
        FlareOne,
        Thanks. We expect to have a Leap version ready quite soon - and expect it to be much improved. And don't worry about competition - we don't - simply because the AEC industry is so extremely large and change resistant. Most of the industry has to be force fed innovation and change so there is great potential for those companies actually willing to embrace change. The only way we can really change it is if literally thousands of companies embrace these technologies and collaborate more than they have traditionally in the past. This is essential simply because building is, in almost all cases, a collaborative process which uses many technologies.

        But the Leap gets us really excited. And we can't wait to show how it can be used for far more than simple design, we can integrate it far deeper into the manufacturing process - and into the factory, and elsewhere. So much to build, so little time.
        Builder - Maker - Fabricator
        Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
        IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
        CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
        Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

        Comment


        • #5
          My application for dev was this exact thing, mainly with the commercial contracting field and Revit and Navisworks specifically.

          The use of the entire body controlling an application to build, compared to the use of a traditional mouse and keyboard, would be extremely cumbersome. I like the idea but only to some degree. You could easily replicate what she did in a quarter of the time or less. The thread topic is obviously extraordinarily broad as well.

          But i like where your head is at!

          edit: My post sounded rude, but was not my intention. You're absolutely right in your assessment of the industry as 'slow' to innovate. There is still many old school style people in the industry who drag their feet when it comes to change. I.e. iPads in the field on job sites. But we're going to really need to "Wow" them as to put in any type of significant investment towards this technology. I am an advocate of the use of LEAP for CAD, Revit, Navis but it comes down to being able to do the same job, more efficiently, which usually means less time. This is going to be QUITE challenging especially with the amount of professionals that still find it difficult to find their way around Outlook, but then asking them to use gesture control to manipulate their model would be overwhelming. Finally, when it comes to the top 10 contractors world wide (Bechtel, Fluor, Turner, Whiting-Turner) these are MASSIVE companies which take investments like LEAP technology extremely seriously but also they tread very lightly before they throw millions (possibly billions) of dollars down to use the software/hardware on a full scale. These guys are just now switching to file management software from the 'everything paper' based days, after 10 years of knowing it was around for improving efficiency.

          Comment


          • #6
            Using the LEAP for Revit might similarly be cumbersome but for Navisworks it's seems to have some serious potential. We have already been using smart boards with Navis models but the LEAP would take this to a whole new level of interaction.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by architeach View Post
              Using the LEAP for Revit might similarly be cumbersome but for Navisworks it's seems to have some serious potential. We have already been using smart boards with Navis models but the LEAP would take this to a whole new level of interaction.
              I agree it could be but there is not much difference between the handling of the two programs. It would mainly be utilized as a promotional tool in presentations and then orbit/pan functions when within the program to begin with.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CAVANAW View Post
                My application for dev was this exact thing, mainly with the commercial contracting field and Revit and Navisworks specifically.

                The use of the entire body controlling an application to build, compared to the use of a traditional mouse and keyboard, would be extremely cumbersome. I like the idea but only to some degree. You could easily replicate what she did in a quarter of the time or less. The thread topic is obviously extraordinarily broad as well.

                But i like where your head is at!

                edit: My post sounded rude, but was not my intention. You're absolutely right in your assessment of the industry as 'slow' to innovate. There is still many old school style people in the industry who drag their feet when it comes to change. I.e. iPads in the field on job sites. But we're going to really need to "Wow" them as to put in any type of significant investment towards this technology. I am an advocate of the use of LEAP for CAD, Revit, Navis but it comes down to being able to do the same job, more efficiently, which usually means less time. This is going to be QUITE challenging especially with the amount of professionals that still find it difficult to find their way around Outlook, but then asking them to use gesture control to manipulate their model would be overwhelming. Finally, when it comes to the top 10 contractors world wide (Bechtel, Fluor, Turner, Whiting-Turner) these are MASSIVE companies which take investments like LEAP technology extremely seriously but also they tread very lightly before they throw millions (possibly billions) of dollars down to use the software/hardware on a full scale. These guys are just now switching to file management software from the 'everything paper' based days, after 10 years of knowing it was around for improving efficiency.
                Cavanaw,
                AEC is indeed a very broad topic. My specific areas of interest are in the sectors of AEC that are the most industrialized and technical. These are the companies that have moved beyond building information modeling (an exercise in form finding for most professionals in the industry) to the far more complex level of fabrication information modeling (a good definition here). This is the 1% of the AEC industry that has already been eaten by software (see Marc Andreesson's article, "Why Software is Eating the World"). At this level it is all 3D, all the time, at a cnc machine code level. And a market size limited to dozens of billions.

                Here is a short video showing CNC in action.http://youtu.be/RnIvhlKT7SY

                I work as a fabricator using CNC technologies to fabricate complex buildings. There are also thousands of other companies in AEC using very advanced cnc lines to fabricate wood, steel, composites, etc. - and using very advanced cad/cam software. These are the companies on the front lines of adopting new technologies and integrating new software into their design-simulate-fabricate-construct processes. Our small team has worked on over 1,000 building fabrication companies in 10 countries - and we know hundreds of others - and I believe these companies will inevitably be the earliest adopters of natural user interface technologies to enable users to interact with appropriate data at various levels of detail.
                Last edited by IDEAbuilder; 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM.
                Builder - Maker - Fabricator
                Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
                IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
                CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
                Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

                Comment


                • #9
                  I also see great potential for the Leap to be used in augmented reality applications for AEC data. Here is a video showing AR being used with AEC data.

                  http://vimeo.com/24146527

                  Here is more information on the video on my blog. I included it in a presentation I made on augmented reality in the building industry at the Augmented Reality Event in San Jose back in 2011.

                  As you can see/imagine, there is plenty of work for all of us to do integrating more technology into the very big AEC industry.
                  Builder - Maker - Fabricator
                  Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
                  IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
                  CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
                  Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IDEAbuilder View Post
                    Cavanaw,
                    AEC is indeed a very broad topic. My specific areas of interest are in the sectors of AEC that are the most industrialized and technical. These are the companies that have moved beyond building information modeling (an exercise in form finding for most professionals in the industry) to the far more complex level of fabrication information modeling (a good definition here). This is the 1% of the AEC industry that has already been eaten by software (see Marc Andreesson's article, "Why Software is Eating the World"). At this level it is all 3D, all the time, at a cnc machine code level. And a market size limited to dozens of billions.

                    Here is a short video showing CNC in action.

                    I work as a fabricator using CNC technologies to fabricate complex buildings. There are also thousands of other companies in AEC using very advanced cnc lines to fabricate wood, steel, composites, etc. - and using very advanced cad/cam software. These are the companies on the front lines of adopting new technologies and integrating new software into their design-simulate-fabricate-construct processes. Our small team has worked on over 1,000 building fabrication companies in 10 countries - and we know hundreds of others - and I believe these companies will inevitably be the earliest adopters of natural user interface technologies to enable users to interact with appropriate data at various levels of detail.
                    Ahh so you're talking about the use of LEAP with CNCs? I am very familiar with these machines, took a couple rapid prototyping classes in college and worked closely with CNC / SLS machines with CAD. In the case of LEAP being used with CNC/SLS, that is a completely different topic all together than the applications I was speaking of. There is already full scale 3D BUILDING printers in production from some large companies but I don't see how the LEAP would be efficiently involved in such projects. If anything I can see industrial robotics having a large part in advancing the future of construction for prefabrication of typical items as well as the use of these 3D printers to effectively cut down the lead time required for certain specialty products. What do you envision using LEAP for effectively in these applications?

                    The company I work for is already using AR in the field with the combination of BIM models, called 'BIM Goggles', as you might be aware of. You can attach the model to control points within the building and we use an iPad's camera to look around the site, while the model is accurately represented on the iPad for whatever we may be looking at. To clarify, say we are looking at a maintenance room on the jobsite while pointing the iPad's camera in the direction, the iPad then shows us in real time the BIM model's maintenance room for exactly the point of view that we're standing in. Cool stuff.

                    Is this sort of what you have in mind? http://www.youtu.be/92SZToemSs8" fra...llowfullscreen

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      CNC, Digital Fabrication, AEC and the democratization of design and fabrication

                      Originally posted by CAVANAW View Post
                      Ahh so you're talking about the use of LEAP with CNCs? I am very familiar with these machines, took a couple rapid prototyping classes in college and worked closely with CNC / SLS machines with CAD. In the case of LEAP being used with CNC/SLS, that is a completely different topic all together than the applications I was speaking of. There is already full scale 3D BUILDING printers in production from some large companies but I don't see how the LEAP would be efficiently involved in such projects. If anything I can see industrial robotics having a large part in advancing the future of construction for prefabrication of typical items as well as the use of these 3D printers to effectively cut down the lead time required for certain specialty products. What do you envision using LEAP for effectively in these applications?

                      The company I work for is already using AR in the field with the combination of BIM models, called 'BIM Goggles', as you might be aware of. You can attach the model to control points within the building and we use an iPad's camera to look around the site, while the model is accurately represented on the iPad for whatever we may be looking at. To clarify, say we are looking at a maintenance room on the jobsite while pointing the iPad's camera in the direction, the iPad then shows us in real time the BIM model's maintenance room for exactly the point of view that we're standing in. Cool stuff.

                      Is this sort of what you have in mind? http://www.youtu.be/92SZToemSs8" fra...llowfullscreen
                      Cavanaw,
                      Very good video. A perfect example of what thousands and then tens of thousands of developers will do immediately with the Leap once they get their SDKs. But the really clever ones will understand that there is far more to be gained by working with real product manufacturers to link the "shape grammar" of the user experience with actual fabrication and value added features like real-time pricing, performance, quality, production and delivery schedules, etc., then there is in competing on the popularity of youtube concept videos-kinda fun but it doesn't pay the bills. And the hordes of individuals rushing to troll patent browser-design-to-manufacturing-processes - don't rush to overlook the millions of prior art examples to be found around the globe. An example? - the best AR technologies (not demos) I have seen are by manufacturing companies and billion dollar retailers who have been investing millions in developing these technologies for over 10 years.

                      So those who most quickly and directly engage with the actual manufacturers in developing end-to-end solutions (and yes, this involves direct-to-consumer interactive marketing on the web "I configured the luxury model in blue, make it now!") will be best positioned to thrive. Although admittedly not enough manufacturers will immediately embrace these technologies specifically because they intuitively recognize how disruptive they are.

                      Like almost all builder/fabricators, we support and use a very wide variety of cad authoring applications since we work with everything from hand sketches to digital project data. And we don't sell software, so we are pretty agnostic. We do wish there were more interoperability (more on that here) but we are also grounded realist and aren't waiting for that to really be supported anytime soon. But we are very excited about taking moving our content and collaborating with our architect, engineer and builder partners in the cloud/internet-as-a-platform/ browser, and even more so about using new technology to engage our client and customers directly using technologies like the leap. And since we make our money by actually building and fabricating and not by participating in heated software debates like the 14,478 "BIM experts" who endlessly discuss archicad-versus-revit in the BIM Experts linkedin group. Zolna is right by the way (I don't expect many people in the industry to admit it, especially software vendors!).

                      And yes I am quite familiar with companies leading what you called full scale building printers, here is an example. Interesting indeed, but subtractive fabrication is having a far bigger impact than additive fabrication in AEC, made evident by the tens of thousands (really hundreds of thousands but I'll be conservative here to avoid wasting time arguing over categorization). It is all exciting indeed as information technology and AEC finally merge into a single industry. Lots of opportunity. And technologies like the Leap will accelerate the democratization of design and manufacuturing/fabrication and open up an entirely new ecosystem of innovation and opportunity for those willing to collaborate across IT and AEC.

                      Here are some examples of the types of fabricated buildings I am referring to. The first is the Pompidou Metz in France.

                      Attachment

                      And here is the Cleveland Clinic by Frank Gehry

                      Attachment

                      And the Metropol Parasol in Seville, Spain.

                      Attachment
                      ).
                      There are many thousands of additional compelling examples, including many of the worlds' most energy efficient buildings (after all, to build very complex and high-performance buildings requires complex processes just like in every other industry) and the technologies already exist but are not widely enough used.

                      What I find most exciting is how these new technologies enable even the smallest companies to compete with the largest industry incumbents. So many of the biggest players in software selling to AEC and the largest construction and real estate companies (orders of magnitude larger than even the largest cad software companies) will scramble to integrate these new technologies but be unwilling to cannibalize their existing business model (shrink wrapped software) to fully embrace the web. Watch how many find themselves like the Kinect team at Microsoft (very well financed, with lots of PhDs and an ecosystem to exploit = windows and xbox, etc.) yet an innovative startup like Leap comes along with the potential to expose their arrogance and inability to deliver or even iterate as quickly as unfunded entrepreneurs.

                      And BIM Glasses. Interesting. Can you link to a video? But do they show "design" data as opposed to what was actually constructed? I know you know exactly what I'm speaking about.

                      And finally, what do we envision using Leap for in our industry? Watch (interact) with this space. I will post updates as we iterate. As a builder and fabricator we build and construct our ideas in the real world. We are very focused on the back end - doing the really hard part of wiring up the actual fabrication and building science behind the increasingly intuitive and ubiquitous front end which is inevitably going to evolve faster than anyone imagines.

                      And I'm not alone. The AEC fabricators showed up at the IT innovation party and are looking for friends and partners. I co-founded the Digital Fabrication Alliance and am on the board to promote digital fabrication in AEC. We have some rather interesting companies on board including Bill Zahner of Zahner (30 Frank Gehry buildings and a few hundred others), Bill Kreysler (amazing digital fabrication of composites) and Bob McNeel of McNeel/Rhino/Grasshopper and a fair number of academic research partners. There is an entire ecosystem of thousands of very innovative companies in AEC and it sure is going to be a wild ride watching how and when the Leap and other technologies get built in to the built environment.
                      Fasten your seat belts and don't fear the industry incumbents, ""Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead. Ask the Leap team, they seem intent on changing the world and aren't investing a lot of time in asking anyone for permission. Life's too short to even ask for forgiveness.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by IDEAbuilder; 07-22-2012, 03:32 PM.
                      Builder - Maker - Fabricator
                      Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
                      IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
                      CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
                      Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by IDEAbuilder View Post
                        Cavanaw,
                        Very good video. A perfect example of what thousands and then tens of thousands of developers will do immediately with the Leap once they get their SDKs. But the really clever ones will understand that there is far more to be gained by working with real product manufacturers to link the "shape grammar" of the user experience with actual fabrication and value added features like real-time pricing, performance, quality, production and delivery schedules, etc., then there is in competing on the popularity of youtube concept videos-kinda fun but it doesn't pay the bills. And the hordes of individuals rushing to troll patent browser-design-to-manufacturing-processes - don't rush to overlook the millions of prior art examples to be found around the globe. An example? - the best AR technologies (not demos) I have seen are by manufacturing companies and billion dollar retailers who have been investing millions in developing these technologies for over 10 years.

                        So those who most quickly and directly engage with the actual manufacturers in developing end-to-end solutions (and yes, this involves direct-to-consumer interactive marketing on the web "I configured the luxury model in blue, make it now!") will be best positioned to thrive. Although admittedly not enough manufacturers will immediately embrace these technologies specifically because they intuitively recognize how disruptive they are.

                        And, I do very much like Graphisoft (your company apparently?) products. Like almost all builder/fabricators, we support and use a very wide variety of cad authoring applications since we work with everything from hand sketches to digital project data. And we don't sell software, so we are pretty agnostic. We do wish there were more interoperability (more on that here) but we are also grounded realist and aren't waiting for that to really be supported in this century. But we are very excited about taking moving our content and collaborating with our architect, engineer and builder partners in the cloud/internet-as-a-platform/ browser, and even more so about using new technology to engage our client and customers directly using technologies like the leap. And since we make our money actually building and fabricating and certainly not participating in software disputes like the 14,478 "BIM experts" who go on endlessly about archicad-versus-revit in the BIM Experts linkedin group. Zolna is right by the way (I don't expect many people in the industry to admit it, especially software vendors!).

                        So thank you for the great work and innovation. However, I do take issue with your statement, " I am very familiar with these machines, took a couple rapid prototyping classes in college and worked closely with CNC / SLS machines with CAD." Really? Seriously? I noticed you didn't reference specific cnc fabricated buildings designed using graphisoft products and the cnc machine interfaces your company has developed????? And if you do so, please refer us to the appropriate contact at the CNC machine manufacturer. So a couple classes in college makes you very familiar??????? Does downloading the free version of sketchup make someone an architect and building information modeling expert? You lost either most or all of your credibility with that statement.

                        And yes I am quite familiar with companies leading what you called full scale building printers, here is an example. Interesting indeed, but subtractive fabrication is having a far bigger impact than additive fabrication in AEC, made evident by the tens of thousands (really hundreds of thousands but I'll be conservative here to avoid wasting time arguing over categorization). It is all exciting indeed as information technology and AEC finally merge into a single industry. Lots of opportunity. And technologies like the Leap will accelerate the democratization of design and manufacuturing/fabrication and open up an entirely new ecosystem of innovation and opportunity for those willing to collaborate across IT and AEC.

                        What I find most exciting is how these new technologies enable even the smallest companies to compete with the largest industry incumbents. So many of the biggest players in software selling to AEC and the largest construction and real estate companies (orders of magnitude larger than even the largest cad software companies) will scramble to integrate these new technologies but be unwilling to cannibalize their existing business model (shrink wrapped software) to fully embrace the web. Watch how many find themselves like the Kinect team at Microsoft (very well financed, with lots of PhDs and an ecosystem to exploit = windows and xbox, etc.) yet an innovative startup like Leap comes along with the potential to expose their arrogance and inability to deliver or even iterate as quickly as unfunded entrepreneurs.

                        And BIM Glasses. Interesting. Can you link to a video? But do they show "design" data as opposed to what was actually constructed? I know you know exactly what I'm speaking about.

                        And finally, what do we envision using Leap for in our industry? Watch (interact) with this space. I will post updates as we iterate. As a builder and fabricator we build and construct our ideas in the real world. We are very focused on the back end - doing the really hard part of wiring up the actual fabrication and building science behind the increasingly intuitive and ubiquitous front end which is inevitably going to evolve faster than anyone imagines.

                        And I'm not alone. The AEC fabricators showed up at the IT innovation party and are looking for friends and partners. I co-founded the Digital Fabrication Alliance and am on the board to promote digital fabrication in AEC. We have some rather interesting companies on board including Bill Zahner of Zahner (30 Frank Gehry buildings and a few hundred others), Bill Kreysler (amazing digital fabrication of composites) and Bob McNeel of McNeel/Rhino/Grasshopper and a fair number of academic research partners. There is an entire ecosystem of thousands of very innovative companies in AEC and it sure is going to be a wild ride watching how and when the Leap and other technologies get built in to the built environment.
                        Fasten your seat belts and don't fear the industry incumbents, ""Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead. Ask the Leap team, they seem intent on changing the world and aren't investing a lot of time in asking anyone for permission. Life's too short to even ask for forgiveness.
                        Whoa nelly. First off, thanks for the response but I do not work for Graphisoft nor any software company involved with CNC machinery. I work for a contractor and am involved in business development and virtual design & construction. I do not know what caused the confusion or gave you that idea.

                        Secondly, you were showing the very basics of CNC machinery and processes, which I AM very familiar with. Does this make me an expert in the field? No. Did I claim to be the 'be all and end all' of everything CNC / SLS? No. So the condescending response was definitely not needed nor warranted. Do I really need to 'specifically reference cnc fabricated buildings' to gain credibility on a casual idea forum? Your eagerness to discredit someone else through a completely separate product forum is laughable, especially when so many assumptions have been made.

                        I attempted to find a video on the BIM Goggles like I mentioned, but was unsuccessful. There is different Levels of Development (LOD) used (Example: Here), based upon the owner's request for certain projects. Depending on the LOD, we can show construction design or as-builts. We use the Vela Systems software if you would like to do your own research on it.

                        I, like yourself, am also very interested/excited in the future of the AEC industry and the rapid changes that the evolution of technology is bringing along. I am still uncertain on the direction (or the amount) that LEAP will be involved with the actual fabrication or designs of the buildings though. Possibly small or often repeated tasks in the design but possibly my foresight is not correctly tuned to truly see the benefits within fabrication.

                        Funny that you linked that video on concrete printing, I was about to use the exact same example for my previous post.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Frank Gehry and 3D technologies in Architecture

                          There was an interesting article on Frank Gehry in last week's Financial Times newspaper. Here is a link to the article, "Ahead of the Curve." Definitely worth reading.

                          What I find most interesting is how the article begins, "Frank Gehry attributes part of his success to 3D technology that allows buildings to be simulated before a brick is laid." What most people outside of the industry don't realize, is that 99%+ of the data exchanged in the industry is still in 2D (think about those stacks of large format paper drawings you see in architects' offices and on job sites). And even 99%+ of the 3D data that is created and used is incomplete, inaccurate and poorly structured - and used minimally in the actual design build process.

                          At the other end of the extreme you have leading architects like Frank Gehry, pushing to make the industry more efficient by completely digitizing it and using the most advanced cad/cam software for design, fabrication and on site work. And although I don't foresee Frank using a Leap to design buildings (who knows?), using the Leap to make this data accessible on PCs and on tablets and smart phones at the work site would be extremely useful.

                          It is inevitable that the next generation of architects is going to draw right on to the machine. I am obsolete, he admits. If you look at it realistically that is the way it has to go; we are already working like that on-site. There will probably be some Michelangelo who will figure it out. Probably not me; although I would love to do it. The more I think of it, the more I think I should take a year off and tackle it, but Im 83 so Id have to do it pretty fast!

                          Here is more info on Frank Gehry and also his other company, Gehry Technologies.
                          Builder - Maker - Fabricator
                          Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
                          IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
                          CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
                          Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IDEAbuilder View Post
                            There was an interesting article on Frank Gehry in last week's Financial Times newspaper. Here is a link to the article, "Ahead of the Curve." Definitely worth reading.

                            What I find most interesting is how the article begins, "Frank Gehry attributes part of his success to 3D technology that allows buildings to be simulated before a brick is laid." What most people outside of the industry don't realize, is that 99%+ of the data exchanged in the industry is still in 2D (think about those stacks of large format paper drawings you see in architects' offices and on job sites). And even 99%+ of the 3D data that is created and used is incomplete, inaccurate and poorly structured - and used minimally in the actual design build process.

                            At the other end of the extreme you have leading architects like Frank Gehry, pushing to make the industry more efficient by completely digitizing it and using the most advanced cad/cam software for design, fabrication and on site work. And although I don't foresee Frank using a Leap to design buildings (who knows?), using the Leap to make this data accessible on PCs and on tablets and smart phones at the work site would be extremely useful.

                            “It is inevitable that the next generation of architects is going to draw right on to the machine. I am obsolete,” he admits. “If you look at it realistically that is the way it has to go; we are already working like that on-site. There will probably be some Michelangelo who will figure it out. Probably not me; although I would love to do it. The more I think of it, the more I think I should take a year off and tackle it, but I’m 83 so I’d have to do it pretty fast!”

                            Here is more info on Frank Gehry and also his other company, Gehry Technologies.
                            Also bear in mind that Frank Gehry's Digital Project software is based on Catia, and leap-catia integration is already being discussed on this forum.
                            Builder - Maker - Fabricator
                            Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
                            IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
                            CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
                            Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              LEAP and a content path for AEC data - skp, DAE (collada), FBX (autodesk) and IFC

                              One of the investors in Leap is Brain McClendon, VP of engineering at Google overseeing Geo products including Google Earth, Google Maps, Sketchup, and Streetview. It leads one to believe that both Google and Trimble (the AEC company that recently purchased Sketchup from Google and publicly states that both companies will continue to support the 3D warehouse) will integrate the leap quite quickly - and I am sure they have more than a few creative ideas for the technology. Supporting skp and dae files is obvious. And remember that Trimble has been acquiring many other companies to build out their pipeline from office through factory to field. This includes "professional strength, BIM for grownups" software like Strucad of fabrication information modeling fame and Tekla - in addition to Gateway for remote sensing/data acquistion - see video here, or below http://youtu.be/NxnWmc0ZTvA.

                              And Autodesk FBX? When will an FBX player using Leap show up in Autodesk labs? It is already being discussed in their forum. And will and how will it support other files standards used by Autodesk products?

                              And the best known interoperability standard in AEC, Industry Foundation Classes (IFC), more on its history and industry adoption here.

                              None of us can know how this will all play out (especially considering the leap team and the disruptive team of investor's financing them) but it sure is going to be interesting - and keep your eyes on Trimble - and Google. But since both Autodesk and Trimble have market capitalizations of around $6-7 billion, I don't see either of them as being able to afford to acquire Leap, that might be a larger company with more at stake, like Microsoft, Apple or Google. And how will that impact Leap development and the community. And will the company that purchases Leap restrict use to a closed ecosystems like Sony is likely to do with GaiKai (another though-provoking technology that could/should be used for BIM/GIS data).
                              Builder - Maker - Fabricator
                              Building at the intersection of Architecture and Construction and the ubiquitous, immersive, real-time 3D Web.
                              IDEAbuilder Homes - High-tech, High-performance Construction
                              CutMyTimber - CNC Digital Fabrication of wood-framed structures
                              Digital Fabrication Alliance - Connecting the International Digital Fabrication Community

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X